Friday, November 21, 2014

A little review on those Armour steel crochet hooks....and a Christmas doily

Well, Hello.   The weather is too cold for November, but I have heard it is going to warm up.  Four inches of snow in November is way wrong here in Southern Indiana...bring back the 60's.

I have used these hooks now for a couple of things..I like how they fit my hand...and that is about it.  I don't have problems with gauge...usually I am dead on, until I used these hooks.  So after realizing that something was up..I looked at the hooks a little closer..well wouldn't you know...the sizes are way different..for example the armour size 10 is 0.75mm,  Susan Bates is 1.15...now I usually use boye hooks..my favorite..ok the size 6 hook in boye is 1.80, susan bates is 1.40, and armour is 1.00.  There is no set pattern on these hooks that I can tell to figure it out.  So I am not happy...and probably won't use these hooks again as they really messed me up.  I think the armour #2 hook is more like the size 7 in Susan bates..it is really crazy...So if you are going to use these hooks I just wanted to give you the heads up that your gauge is not going to be right...and the size is going to end up being much much smaller than it is supposed to be.....so to sum this review up..no I do not like the hooks..like the way they feel, but do not like the size thing...maybe mine were screwed up at the factory....?
Just finished up this Doily..still looking for Christmas doily patterns.  Not too many out there.  Just listed it in my shop.  Hey don't forget that crocheter for Christmas..thread makes an awesome gift for the hooker you know.   I hope you all have a wonderful   Thanksgiving

8 comments:

Knot Forgotten Studio said...

Hi Vikki, Nope, I don't think your hooks were screwed up at the factory. I bought the very same hooks a couple of months ago from Herrshners and I have had the very same problems. My last few makes have ruffled and curled and have been a mess. I was able to block most the problems out but...grrrr! The hooks do feel great in my hand but heck, that's it. I'm going back to my Boye hooks until I can find something better. I also like that my Boye's are not metric but U.S. sized. Your Christmas doily is beautiful! Did or do you ever have problems with your red thread bleeding into the white? I'm making a red and white doily right now. I've decided not to use anything liquid on it because the last one I made with those colors bled horribly. Have a nice weekend, penny x

byhooks4u said...

I use DMC cebelia. It is the only thread that I have found that will not bleed onto lighter colors. So it has not been a problem for me.

Faith said...

My first though, oh these are pretty hooks. I won't be purchasing them,I have not even seen them around my parts. Thank you for the review. Your Christmas doily so beautimous.

Preeti said...

Your doily looks wonderful!!:)

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Oh I love your doily. :)

I bought one of the hooks, it's the 1.50mm one, and I like it. I use all types of hooks, so I usually just go by the mm size. I have a huge issue with being a "loose hooker" so to me, these hooks are great. I love how they make my hands feel so good and not hurt. I can't use a hook without something on the handle or else my hands will start to ache. I don't have that issue with these hooks. But I could easily see if you were a Boye fan, you might think twice about these hooks. :) Hugs to you sweet friend. :)

Charlotte said...

I seem to use the same hooks over and over also. Doesn't make sense to have that much of a difference in size. Love the doily.

Crafy Lady said...


as always, very nice.
BarbaraD

Trish said...

you make the best doilys! I'm envious!